Uppsala Maja occupies one of the oldest wooden buildings in Tartu. In the historical records the site with a house was first mentioned in the 17th century. The vault in the northern part of the house dates back to that period. This part was probably reconstructed at the end of the 17th century, but seems to have suffered seriously during the Great Northern War.
By dendrochronological dating the oldest part of the present building dates from the 1750s. In the years 1777 - 1783 additions were built. The top-storey was also used. From 1828 the house has today's dimensions. At the end of the 19th century there was a butcher's shop in the southern part. The house was partly rebuilt after the fire in 1937. Today the renovated house looks like a typical 18th-century dwelling house: a single-storey building with a mansard.
During the centuries owners of the house changed many times. In different times there lived the families of a court clerk, a saddler, an armourer, tailors, a bedel, etc. Beginning with the 19th century there were also lodgings for students.
1996 - 2010 there was a guesthouse Uppsala Maja of the twin-towns.